It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:44 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Rank the 6 Superman films
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:42 pm 
Regular

Obivously I'm curious where you all will put Man of Steel in your list, but also like to see where the others fall for you. Maybe I should have posted this in DC Movies, oh well!

So rank the 6 films, Superman I-IV, Superman Returns and MOS.

Post subject: Re: Rank the 6 Superman films
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:53 pm 
Regular

Superman: The Movie
Man of Steel
Superman 2
Superman 4
Superman 3
Superman Returns

The last 3 are virually tied for 10th place (yes, out of only 6 possibilities).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:00 pm 
Regular

HAHA, Silogramsam, nice!

We're pretty close, for me its

Man of Steel
Superman 2
Superman 3
Superman Returns
Superman 4

The ones at the bottom of the list are hard to rank, I try to ask myself if I was being forced to watch one over the other, which would I choose!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:07 pm 
Regular

Superman: The Movie (as I had no expectations and yet it fulfilled every sensation). err, yeah.
Man of Steel (as I now do have expectations and it delivered a darker atmosphere, for me)
Superman 2 (it was superman)
Superman 3 (it was superman, again)
Superman 4 (it was, well, again..)
Superman Returns (only because i have to list the 6 BUT Brandon did a great Clark)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:09 pm 
Regular

Man of Steel
Superman 2
Superman 4
Superman 3
Superman Returns

The last 3 are virually tied for 10th place (yes, out of only 6 possibilities).

This!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:02 pm 
Regular

I haven't seen Man of Steel (I'm still on the fence about going…), but if I had to rank the previous 5, it would be:

Superman II - The Richard Donner Cut
Superman Returns (I think my son and I are the only two people who actually like this one)

Superman II

then…

Superman III (starring Richard Pryor, guest-starring Superman)

And, well, I can't bring myself to watch Superman IV — not even for the "entertainment" value.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:09 pm 
Regular

1. Man of Steel
2. Superman the Movie (favorite scene was the search for a phone booth to change)
3. Superman 2
4. Superman Returns
5. Superman 3 (fond memories of Richard Pryor in this one but Robert Vaughn was a lame villain)
6. Superman 4

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:11 am 
Regular

All but 2 would be tied for 10th place, as far as I'm concerned. And the other 2 (Man Of Steel and Superman IV: The Quest For Peace) I never saw.

When I was a teenager, I used to really like Superman II and I used to hold it up as this "high water mark" for the other Superman films... but when I watched it more recently, I cringed at how hokey it was a lot of the time.

To that end, I don't think the movies have ever truly nailed Superman (the way I see him anyway) correctly. There are a couple of Batman movies that I like... but with Superman, kinda like Spider-man, I've never really felt the films did the character justice. There was either something that felt like it was missing... or something off-putting about them.

Just an opinion.

David

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:45 am 
Regular

Superman II - could be something of the nostalgia from when I saw it the first time and there was a real honest-to-goodness comic book fight scene happening on screen, but there is a lot that was done right in this movie

Man of Steel - the boldness to tell the story they did and the effectiveness with which it was done, really great stuff (Go see it if you haven't already)

Superman III - Too light-hearted? Yes, but there is a place for some light-hearted fun in the world of Superman and it handled some things very well - especially the scene in which he overcame the effect of the synthetic kryptonite through force of will (we cheered in the theatre where I saw it, although to be honest that was not all that uncommon back then)

Superman the Movie - The flying scenes were amazing and I loved the way Superman, Lois and Clark were portrayed but those things were replicated in the later movies so while STM gets bonus points for making the others possible I feel like it has too much lameness in the Luthor plot and the portrayal of his cronies (I guess I liked Clark proving that he's not just Superman because he has physical abilities more than risking the fate of the world to save Lois, although both were great)

Superman Returns - Unfairly derided, has some great moments but also included too much unnecessary unresolved soap opera elements that suggest they took for granted we would all be back in a few years for a sequel

Superman IV The Quest for Peace - really, incredibly, spectacularly good intentions went into this but it fell short and that's kind of a shame. Too bad we never got a Superman V with the Parasite or something, seems like they lost money on this one (or didn't make enough or whatever) and just threw in the towel.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:27 am 
Regular

Location: A small little Arizona town on the border of California
Man of Steel
Superman
Superman II
Superman Returns
Superman III
Superman IV: The Quest for Peace

The top spot was really close but ultimately I enjoyed Man of Steel just a tiny bit more than Superman.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:21 am 
Regular

1. Man of Steel - My favorite
2. Superman II - Donner cut, might have been the best ever had he been allowed to finish it
3. Superman Returns - Decent, nice action sequences (the bullet to the eye, saving the airplane)
4. Superman the Motion Picture - while I like the first half, I wasn't so hot for the second part
5. Superman II - Lester cut - too silly
6. Superman III - crap
7. Superman IV - mega-crap

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:20 am 
Regular

Man of Steel
Superman 2 (Richard Donner Cut)
Superman Returns
Superman 1
Superman 2
Superman 4
Superman 3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:28 pm 
Regular

Superman
Tie: Man of Steel/Superman Returns (it IS a good movie)
Superman II
Superman IV
Superman III (Missing vital element of Superman movies: Superman)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:15 pm 
Regular

All but 2 would be tied for 10th place, as far as I'm concerned. And the other 2 (Man Of Steel and Superman IV: The Quest For Peace) I never saw.

When I was a teenager, I used to really like Superman II and I used to hold it up as this "high water mark" for the other Superman films... but when I watched it more recently, I cringed at how hokey it was a lot of the time.

To that end, I don't think the movies have ever truly nailed Superman (the way I see him anyway) correctly. There are a couple of Batman movies that I like... but with Superman, kinda like Spider-man, I've never really felt the films did the character justice. There was either something that felt like it was missing... or something off-putting about them.

Just an opinion.

David

I agree with you...if accuracy or faithfulness to the comics was the lynchpin to the movies, I'd say no movies worked right including the old serials. The cartoons tend to be more faithful to the comics - and I'm not talking about the ability to show super powers but as to the characters' personalities etc.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:58 pm 
Regular

1. SM 2 - lot of silly parts, but likeable overall.
2. SM 1 - kinda long, no SM for the first hour.
3. SMR - costume was horrible, yes it was remake of SM1, but I liked the airplane scene, spacey & Brandon.
4. MoS - I liked Crowe, but too many "wait a minute" moments, and too much destruction at the end, for me personally.
5. 3, 4 - tie. A few hours of my life I will never get back