It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: THOR: GOD OF THUNDER
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:57 pm 
Regular

Location: Everything else may come and go... Comics are forever.
PREVIEW: THOR: GOD OF THUNDER #11

Story by Jason Aaron
Art by Esad Ribic
Cover by Esad Ribic
Publisher Marvel Comics
Cover Price: $3.99
Release Date Wed, August 14th, 2013

• The grand finale of the epic time-traveling saga of the God Butcher that began in issue #1.

• After the dust clears, what gods will be left?

Cover

Cover

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... w&id=17590

Thor, God Of Thunder #12

JASON AARON (W) • NIC KLEIN (A)
Cover by ESAD RIBIC
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99
Release Date August 28, 2013

• THOR RETURNS TO MIDGARD! What does it mean to walk the Earth as a god?
• Where does Thor go and who does he see when he’s not out saving the world with the Avengers?
• Also, the return of long-time love interest, Dr. Jane Foster.

Cover

Cover

Cover

Cover

Nrama: In September you and frequent collaborator Ron Garney re-team for an arc that sees Thor face-off with Malekith the Accursed, one of the villains in the upcoming Thor movie. Malekith hasn’t been seen much in comics recently, so can you tell us what makes him interesting to you as a character – and what makes him someone to be feared?

Aaron: There are a couple questions the story tries to answer. Malekith was the big villain from Walter Simonson’s run on Thor, and at the time he was the leader of the Dark Elves of Svartalfheim. Since then he’s popped up a few times here and there, but he starts in “The Accursed” arc in an otherworldly prison with some of his dark elf minions come to break him free. From there they set off on a rampage of all nine realms, with him murdering his own people over what they became in his absence.

This affords me the opportunity to take a road trip through the nine realms. By the end of the book, I want readers to know the difference between Svartalfheim, Jotunheim, Alfheim – all the 'heims' in Norse mythology. We’ll also have a map to help with that. We’ll see each one of those worlds in the course of the story, and learn who’s where, what the terrain is like, and how it’s all different. By the end of “The Accursed” we’ll have a much clearer picture of the setting of Thor’s world, and certainly have a bigger picture of Malekith’s role within that.

Nrama: In an interview on CBR you described Malekith as the Joker to Thor’s Batman. Can you elaborate on their dynamic?

Aaron: Malekith is very much a sort of mad butcher as well as a dark sorcerer. He makes for a good foil for Thor in that he’s so much of what Thor hates and despises. He’s someone content to just chaos and malevolence for just the sake of chaos and malevolence. He’s willing to do absolutely whatever it takes to get what he wants. He’ll kill, butcher and maim absolutely anyone, and sets out on an insane bloody rampage over the course of this arc.

http://www.newsarama.com/18597-jason-aa ... under.html

Mine eyes have seen the glory.

[joker]

Post subject: Re: THOR: GOD OF THUNDER
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:00 am 
Regular

D-oh! I posted that interview in it's own thread. But what the heck, we can discuss it here.

I don't want to look at any previews, I want to go in fresh. But I will say that I'm really jacked about reading this upcoming issue. It's been a great, GREAT arc.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:55 am 
Regular

Wow, Ribic was ON FIRE! His work was awe inspiring, left me breathless in the way he evoked Thor's raw power and Godly bearing.

Aaron wrote some scintillating dialog. And while he doesn't directly answer the lingering question about whether Gor has a point, he does answer it through Thor's actions. God's will stumble, they can be selfish and stupid and they will carry regrets over that (King Thor's speech to Young Thor) but they will also rise when needed, sacrifice themselves for the good and be there to comfort when called.

My only quibble was with the Spoiler! (Highlight to see text): selective amnesia. Felt like a contrivance, but I'll have to see if a second read through helps with that. On the first go through I didn't really care for it.

But overall I think this arc was one of the greatest Thor stories ever told.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:46 pm 
Regular

Thor dominates Multiversity's panel picks of the week. And those 2 scenes were incredible.

http://multiversitycomics.com/columns/saturday-morning-panels-week-of-8142013/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:04 am 
Regular

The opening story line for this series has been outstanding, IMHO. This is a book that has consistently been at or near the top of my reading pile each month.

I'm looking forward to seeing if they can keep the quality story-telling going.

Just an opinion.

David

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:06 pm 
Regular

Written by Jason Aaron, art and cover by Ron Garney, variant cover by Walter Simonson.

* Beginning a new arc featuring the bloody return of one of Thor's greatest enemies: Malekith the Accursed!

* Once the former lord of the Dark Elves is freed from his otherworldly prison, the chase is on across the Nine Realms to capture him and end his vengeful reign of terror!

32 pages, $3.99.

AWESOME!

[joker]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:04 am 
Regular

Issue 12 was a quieter issue, but just as powerful as we learn that being a God is more than swinging hammers in battle.Aaron’s story has heart and a message, but he offers a soft enough touch that it comes off moving rather than preachy or schmaltzy.

I'm not sure about Jane Foster's reaction. When people are sick they'll try anything, no matter how outlandish to get well. I get that Aaron had a tough job here -- make it poignant and don't cheapen it by giving us a quick Godly fix... but still, you take help no matter where it comes from.

Nevertheless it was a very touching sequence between the two.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:03 pm 
Regular

PREVIEW: THOR: GOD OF THUNDER #14

STORY BY Jason Aaron
ART BY Ron Garney
PUBLISHER Marvel Comics
COVER PRICE: $3.99
RELEASE DATE Wed, October 9th, 2013

[joker]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:46 pm 
Regular

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... w&id=18421

[joker]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:56 pm 
Regular

Jason Aaron (W), Ron Garney (A/C)

* The hunt for Malekith the Accursed continues!

* Thor and his newfound compatriots in the League of Realms chase the Dark Elf marauder across the Nine Realms: From the exotic fairy gardens of Alfheim to the frozen mountains of Jotunheim, where giants dwell.

* But when one of the League falls...will it mean war for all Realms?

32 pages, $3.99.

http://www.newsarama.com/19399-marvel-1 ... -more.html

[joker]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:22 pm 
Regular

This December 18th, 2013, the hunt for Malekith continues across the nine realms in Thor: God of Thunder #16 – the penultimate chapter of The Accursed! From the blockbuster creative team of Jason Aaron, Ron Garney and Emanuela Lupacchino – one of the newly formed League of Realms has fallen. The remaining members of the League stand as the single best hope for defeating Malekith – even as a traitor walks among them! Now, in order to prevent war among the Realms, Thor must do the unthinkable! But it may still be too late to stop Malekith from staging one final bloody raid. A raid that will take him and his sadistic army of Dark Elves straight to Earth! No fan can afford to miss the pulse-pounding Thor: God of Thunder #16!

Cover

Cover

Cover

Cover

[joker]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:08 pm 
Regular

Story by Jason Aaron
Art by Ron Garney, Emanuela Lupacchino
Cover by Esad Rabi
Publisher Marvel Comics
Cover Price:$3.99
Release Date Wed, January 15th, 2014

THE GRAND FINALE OF THE ACCURSED!

Thor’s desperate tour of the Nine Realms brings him to Midgard, to Earth, where he makes his final stand against Malekith and the dark forces of the Wild Hunt.

But what has become of Thor’s newest compatriots, the League of Realms? Who stands revealed as the traitor in their midst?
And what bloody victory has Malekith already won?

Cover

Cover

Cover

Cover

[joker]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:57 am 
Regular

Can't F@%!#& believe the outcome of THE ACCURSED!

Thor: God of Thunder #19 Cover by Esad Ribic

The next big arc of THOR kicks off in February, with the return of both artist Esad Ribic and Old King Thor. Decide for yourself which is the more imposing figure. We also have the (re)introduction of a big new villain for the God of Thunder: ROXXON. It's been awhile since we've seen the Marvel U's favorite evil corporation in action, but they come roaring back in a huge way in this arc. They've even got a brand new CEO, who's so ruthless he has the nickname The Minotaur. Though I wonder if that's the only reason he has that nickname? There's also lots of S.H.I.E.L.D. action, revolving around Agent Roz Solomon, our gun-toting environmentalist who first appeared back in THOR GOD OF THUNDER #12. Plus submarines, floating islands, flying factories, and oh yeah... King Thor vs. Old Galactus! I'm pretty excited about this one.

THOR: GOD OF THUNDER #19.NOW
JASON AARON (W) • ESAD RIBIC (A/C)
Variant Cover by Milo Manara
Variant Cover by Simone Bianchi

THE LAST DAYS OF MIDGARD begin NOW!
Thor, Asgardian God of Thunder, has always fought to save his adopted home of Earth. But who can he fight when the planet itself is dying? Thor's mortal ally and environmental secret agent Roz Solomon has a few ideas. Namely the world's largest and most nefarious energy company Roxxon, and its ruthless new CEO known as "The Minotaur." Has the God of Thunder finally met his match, in the form of a multinational super-corporation? Meanwhile, many millennia ahead, a future version of Thor faces a very different battle to save what remains of the earth--a battle against the greatest villain the Marvel Universe has ever known—Galactus, the Devourer of Worlds!
32 PGS./Rated T+ ...$3.99

http://jasoneaaron.blogspot.com/2013/11 ... er-19.html

Cover

Cover

http://www.newsarama.com/19948-thor-vs- ... turns.html

[joker]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:55 am 
Regular

Ye Gods, Ribic is BACK! Here's more art from the issue. http://www.comicvine.com/articles/first-look-thor-god-of-thunder-19-now-the-last-day/1100-147926/

It's gorgeous, the line work and the colors, simply gorgeous. And breathtaking -- that's another good word. There's such a feeling of majesty and dynamism. The way Thor bullets through the air in this page -for example- is simple but breathtaking.

Cover

I gather from what Ribic said that they are trying new things with the color. A little less with the soft washes, a little more crisp and oil painting bold.

Cover

And this is simply epic, I love the choreography of the two figures in battle. There are no motion lines as in days of old, but the way Ribic draws your eye, you don't need them. You can see it in the way the head is thrust upwards, the helmet hanging in the air, you can imagine the sweep of Thor's hammer and see the devastating results as it makes contact

So looking forward to this issue.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:45 pm 
Regular

STORY BY Jason Aaron
ART BY Esad Ribic
COVER BY Esad Ribic, Nic Klein
PUBLISHER Marvel Comics
COVER PRICE: $3.99
RELEASE DATE: March 19th, 2014

This March, the Odinson battles to save the Earth across the timestream in THOR: GOD OF THUNDER #20 – from the New York Times Bestselling creative team of Jason Aaron and Esad Ribic! In the present day, the God of Thunder battles alongside S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent Roz Solomon against the evil Roxxon corporation and their sinister CEO Dario Agger – a.k.a. The Minotaur! But even a God may not be powerful enough to stop the world’s most powerful super-corporation! Meanwhile, far in the future, King Thor – one of the last remaining beings on Midgard – battles for the planet’s survival against a terrible and awesome foe! Galactus, the Devourer of Worlds, has come to consume what remains of the planet Earth! And even if King Thor succeeds, the Earth may still be doomed. Don’t miss the next blockbuster chapter of The Last Days of Midgard when THOR: GOD OF THUNDER #20 hits comic shops this March!

Cover

Cover

Cover

Cover

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... w&id=20379

[joker]