It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Ostrander's Spectre and Martian Manhunter
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:25 pm 
Regular

have either of these been collected (I seem to remember the Spectre) or re-released if so?

Post subject: Re: Ostrander's Spectre and Martian Manhunter
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:47 pm 
Regular

Not that I know of. I would have jumped at a Spectre collection.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:56 pm 
Regular

The Spectre Crimes and Punishments was the only one to be collected. It was the first four issues of the series. The Ostrander Martian Manhunter was never collected into a TPB.

Last edited by Bilsey on Tue May 07, 2013 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:27 pm 
Regular

Ostrander's Spectre was the better of the two. And that is only due to the premature cancellation of the Manhunter series. Ostrander works better in longer epics than shortened arcs. Ostrander played with Spectre's past continuity--Percival Poop his comical sidekick was brought back occaisionally. His JSA continuity was brought into play--Death of Mr. Terrific being avenged and a new Mr. Terrific being created. Ostrander also brought into the DC continuity with the Spectre's stories--American Scream from Vertigo's Shade the Changing Man and Eclipso as a counter to Spectre. It is a shame there was only one tpb of this series. Both should all be reprinted.

As should the entire Question series by O'Neil, if anyone at DC reads these posts consider that these were great stories and deserve to be reprinted. Another to reprint is the entire Cary Bates' Flash run and the Greg Weisman's Captain Atom. Great run of stories when taken as a whole.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:32 pm 
Regular

A pity Ostrander's Martian Manhunter was never collected. I loved it. My only problem with it is that Ostrander never built a supporting cast and consistent world for J'onn, and instead the issues mostly featured guest stars. It wasn't bad that it had sort of a Brave and the Bold/DC Comics Presents feel, but I think one of the biggest reasons the Martian Manhunter character hasn't really taken off is because writers have failed to give him the solid identifiable characteristics (supporting cast, base of operations, rogues' gallery) that other characters have, and he hasn't had any of that since the '50s. So, people just see him as "a member of the Justice League," rather than a character in his own right.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:51 pm 
Regular

A pity Ostrander's Martian Manhunter was never collected. I loved it. My only problem with it is that Ostrander never built a supporting cast and consistent world for J'onn, and instead the issues mostly featured guest stars. It wasn't bad that it had sort of a Brave and the Bold/DC Comics Presents feel, but I think one of the biggest reasons the Martian Manhunter character hasn't really taken off is because writers have failed to give him the solid identifiable characteristics (supporting cast, base of operations, rogues' gallery) that other characters have, and he hasn't had any of that since the '50s. So, people just see him as "a member of the Justice League," rather than a character in his own right.

I agree. I think if he had more time, Ostrander would've done MM a great service. Ostrander, as he did with Spectre, was putting everything that had occurred with MM together so that it made sense but he hadn't gotten to everything. He also brought in and explained J'emm (that series only became "J'emm, Son of Saturn" because it was originally conceived to be a MM series but DC didn't want to place MM in that direction).
Ostrander, for me, falls into a category of writer that knows the history of the universe he's writing about, can put everything relevant together and all in a way that makes sense, is well written and entertaining (others that come to mind, start with Roy Thomas, and then Mark Waid, Kurt Busiek and, I believe, Geoff Johns - there may be others).

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:54 pm 
Regular

Quote:
As should the entire Question series by O'Neil, if anyone at DC reads these posts consider that these were great stories and deserve to be reprinted. Another to reprint is the entire Cary Bates' Flash run and the Greg Weisman's Captain Atom. Great run of stories when taken as a whole

I'd have no problem with any of these.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:15 am 
Regular

....My only problem with it is that Ostrander never built a supporting cast and consistent world for J'onn, and instead the issues mostly featured guest stars. It wasn't bad that it had sort of a Brave and the Bold/DC Comics Presents feel, but I think one of the biggest reasons the Martian Manhunter character hasn't really taken off is because writers have failed to give him the solid identifiable characteristics (supporting cast, base of operations, rogues' gallery) that other characters have, and he hasn't had any of that since the '50s. So, people just see him as "a member of the Justice League," rather than a character in his own right.

I have to disagree on a number of points. I'm having a tough time thinking of any other villains for J'onn outside of the Human Flame or other Martians (pre-Crisis Green Martians or post-Crisis White Martians who were not created by Ostrander. Maybe Ostrander isn't a commercial draw compared to other writers, but over a decade later his stories are still strong. There were quite a number of guest-stars, certainly, but they were never there unless they served the story. It never read like DCCP. Using these appearances, Ostrander managed to work J'onn into the fabric of the DCU unlike any writer before or since.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:50 am 
Regular

Vol 1 of Martian Manhunter is supposedly being released next year. Amazon.com But they could always pull it if pre-orders are low. Low sales/pre-sales is what killed Ostrander Suicide Squad TPB releases after only one volume (though they are releasing issues digitally).

So all of that sucks - and taking this into considering, we'll likely not see the Spectre collected, which is one of the greatest titles I've ever read.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:46 pm 
Regular

I loved these two series. Too bad Ostrander and Mandrake couldn't have carried on MM to it's conclusion, though (I'm assuming that, eventually, there would have been one…)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:59 am 
Regular

Location: Suffolk, England (You know, the Country That Invented Comics)
Both good books, though The Spectre was by far the better of the two. I was actually a fairly prolific letterhack when Martian Manhunter was launched and I remember I was incredibly excited when I had a photocopy of the first issue arrive on my doormat to write a review of so that they'd have some letters for that issue. Thank you, Peter Tomasi! [martianmanhunter]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:03 pm 
Regular

Both good books, though The Spectre was by far the better of the two. I was actually a fairly prolific letterhack when Martian Manhunter was launched and I remember I was incredibly excited when I had a photocopy of the first issue arrive on my doormat to write a review of so that they'd have some letters for that issue. Thank you, Peter Tomasi! [martianmanhunter]

This is the point where I start to wax all nostalgic about the letters pages again... cheers for that, Tony! :(

:lol:

-Tremo